Do you like the warmth of a fire in the wintertime? Most of us do, and having a wood-burning stove in your home can both add some ambiance and heat. If you have one of these in your home, you should make sure that it is cared for properly so that you won’t risk fire, injury, or carbon monoxide poisoning.

While wood-burning stoves aren’t known to be very efficient, they are a nice alternative to heat your home if you have a source of low-cost wood.

A common mistake that is quite dangerous is using pressure-treated wood in your wood-burning stove. The chemicals used in the process can be harmful when inhaled. Homeowners that have had some remodeling might think that it is a convenient way to get rid of scrap wood have had to deal with toxic fumes leaking into their home.

If you have pets in your home, you should also ensure that there is no chance of them knocking things onto your wood-burning stove since it can get quite hot on the outside.